Dani Thai is a lover of all things associated with design: fashion, graphic, product, industrial, you name it. At the age of 25, she has already traveled the world and secured a role at DOSH as one of their key designers.
Outside the savvy Surry Hills office that she works in, Dani’s life revolves around fashion, food, travel and more recently, fitness. We spoke to the designer about her work at DOSH, her love of fashion, and what she does to keep fit.
1. How long have you been at DOSH and how did you score the gig?
After I graduated from UNSW, I decided I wanted to travel around the world for 4 months. When I got back from my travels, I was fortunate enough to get an internship at bluesky. My love for fashion and Industrial Design really won my bosses over. I’ve been here for 3 years now!
2. How does your role contribute daily to the operations of DOSH?
My official title is ‘Designer’, but my role has grown tremendously in the past 3 years. I am involved in the graphic design, product design, press and marketing, and the online store. I have certainly gained a lot of experience working for DOSH!
(Ellery dress, Kookai necklace and bangle, Proenza Schouler PS1 bag, and Alexander Wang heels.)
3. What can you tell us about DOSH’s newest collection?
We are almost ready to launch a new product that will catapult us into the tech world. It has been a year in the making. It’s incredibly exciting!
4. What’s your approach when it comes to dressing for the office?
Comfort first. I regularly visit our manufacturer and heels are a no-go when you are running around picking up samples. My office is really relaxed about the dress-code. We can basically wear whatever we want! Denim, stripes and leather are usually my work uniform.
5. Let’s talk about what happens after 5pm! What does your 5 to 9 life consist of?
I have a ferocious appetite and a major love for food! Most, if not all of my friends love food as much as I do. Discovering new restaurants to dine at is a common occurrence. Running is also necessary considering how much I eat!
6. How would you describe your 5 to 9 style?
I am quite minimalist when it comes to how I dress. I like white, black and grey. My dresses are all structured t-shirt dresses, and very simple. Think boxy t-shirts, and mid-length skirts. I add a more detailed shoe to each outfit.
7. As far as accessories go, what are your go-to essentials?
My Proenza Schouler PS1 bag is the perfect size everyday bag. My favorite shoes at the moment are my Celine leopard espadrilles – ultra comfortable. As for jewellery, my Sarah and Sebastian ‘pinky swear’ rings.
8. Whose style do you admire and why?
Christine Centenera – She never puts a foot wrong. Ever.
Jayne Min – Jayne is the queen of modern grunge!
(Black Breeze top, Running tights and Free+3, all available at Nike.com)
9. Your office is based in Surry Hills. How do you stay fit while being around so many enticing temptations – Messina, Bourke St Bakery, El Loco, The Carrington, etc?
I started a “run club” at work, and we run two nights during the week. On the weekend, I run twice. All up, I run 4 times a week, around 45km altogether.
10. Which songs/bands are featured on your workout playlist?
My playlists are normally really long, but here are some of my favourites:
Beyoncé – Run The World (Girls)
Azealia Banks – 212
Robyn Thicke – Blurred Lines
Daft Punk – Get Lucky
The Strokes – One Way Trigger
Vampire weekend – Diane Young
Major Lazer – Get Free